WordPress is the cornerstone of the web, powering over a third of the world’s websites. While it’s well-renowned for its flexibility and ease of use, one of its stellar features is the vast array of plugins available to enhance its functionality. Among these, contact form plugins are essential for any business or blog site. They provide a bridge between site owners and their audience, allowing smooth communication.
Let’s dive into some of WordPress’s best contact form plugins and solutions, shedding light on their backgrounds, pros, cons, and much more.
Best contact form WordPress plugin
Let’s start by discussing our top pick for WordPress form plugins. It’s key to understand that our web design agency specialises in design-led bespoke WordPress themes and WooCommerce stores working with everyone from start-ups to SMEs to large multi-national enterprise-sized businesses. With over 15 years of experience using WordPress, we have seen plugins come and go and boast the advantage of understanding what plugins work and what don’t. We also have advanced knowledge of the functionality and customisation of these add-ons.
If you’re an independent entrepreneur, a fledgling start-up, or a small-scale business, many free solutions can aptly cater to your requirements. Don’t worry; we’ll explore some of the best free alternatives later in this article. But for now, let’s look at our favourite, Gravity Forms.
Our endorsement is entirely genuine and unbiased. We’re not receiving any sponsorship or kickback for this recommendation. It’s purely based on our extensive experience using various form plugins and developing and maintaining WordPress and WooCommerce websites for clients since 2008.
Gravity Forms for WordPress
Gravity Forms is a robust, flexible form plugin designed specifically for WordPress websites. Since its inception in 2009, it has become one of WordPress’s most popular and feature-rich form builders, catering to novice and advanced developers.
Here’s an overview of what Gravity Forms is and what it offers:
- Drag-and-Drop Form Builder: Easily create and customise your forms without any coding knowledge.
- Advanced Fields: Beyond basic fields like text and email, Gravity Forms offers advanced fields such as file uploads, website URLs, date pickers, and more.
- Conditional Logic: Show or hide fields, sections, or buttons based on user inputs or selections. This helps in making your forms more dynamic and user-friendly.
- Multi-Page Forms: Split your forms into multiple pages to improve user experience, especially for longer forms.
- Form Entries: Save and manage all form submissions within your WordPress dashboard. This makes it easier to review, export, or delete form submissions.
- Mobile Responsive: Gravity Forms is designed to be responsive, ensuring your forms look and function well on all device types.
- Limit and Schedule Forms: Set a limit on the number of entries a form can receive or schedule forms to be active only during specific dates.
Add-Ons and Integrations
What makes Gravity Forms particularly powerful is its extensive collection of add-ons. These allow integration with various third-party services and platforms, such as:
- Payment gateways (e.g., Stripe, PayPal)
- Email marketing services (e.g., MailChimp, AWeber)
- CRM platforms (e.g., Zoho, HubSpot)
- And many others.
Gravity Forms is a premium plugin, meaning there’s no free version available. However, it offers various pricing plans based on features and the number of sites you want to use it on.
Pros of Using Gravity Forms
- Highly customisable and flexible.
- Offers a broad range of add-ons for extended functionality.
- Active developer community, which means regular updates and improvements.
- Stellar customer support for users.
- No free version is available.
- It might be overkill for those who need just a basic contact form.
Gravity Forms for WordPress is a comprehensive solution for those looking to implement any form, from basic contact forms to complex multi-step forms with conditional logic. Its reputation in the WordPress community is well-deserved, thanks to its rich feature set and reliability. If you’re searching for a form plugin that offers both ease of use and deep customisation options, Gravity Forms should be on your shortlist.
Best paid-for contact form WordPress plugin
While Gravity Forms is our premium pick, it wouldn’t be right without highlighting some other paid-for contact form plugins. With similar features to Gravity Forms, these paid-for plugins are front-runners for any WordPress agency, developer or website owner.
Ninja Forms for WordPress
Ninja Forms is a popular and versatile form-creation tool for WordPress websites. It stands out for its user-friendly interface and robust features, making it easy for website owners and developers to create various types of forms without the need for any coding knowledge.
Here’s a comprehensive overview of Ninja Forms:
- Drag-and-Drop Form Builder: This intuitive interface allows users to easily create forms by dragging fields and arranging them as needed.
- Customisable Fields: Offers a wide range of field options, from basic text and email fields to more advanced ones like date pickers, file uploads, and even conditional logic fields.
- Conditional Logic: Design dynamic forms that show or hide fields based on user input, enhancing the user experience and allowing more intricate form designs.
- Email Notifications: Set up automatic email notifications for form submissions, ensuring you never miss a response.
- Form Templates: Speed up the form creation process using pre-designed templates suitable for various use cases.
- Export and Import: Easily export form submissions for data analysis or import data as needed.
Add-Ons and Integrations
Ninja Forms shines with its extensive add-on library, providing additional functionality and integration options. These include:
- CRM integrations (e.g., Salesforce, Zoho, Capsule CRM)
- Payment gateways (e.g., Stripe, PayPal)
- Email marketing platforms (e.g., MailChimp, Constant Contact)
- And many more.
While Ninja Forms offers a free version with essential features suitable for basic form creation, its premium plans unlock a wealth of additional functionalities and integrations.
Pros of Using Gravity Forms
- Intuitive and beginner-friendly interface.
- Extensive range of add-ons for enhanced functionality.
- Strong developer support with frequent updates and improvements.
- Comprehensive documentation and helpful customer support.
- Some advanced features and integrations are reserved for the premium versions.
- It might be overwhelming for those who need a basic form without bells and whistles.
Ninja Forms for WordPress is a formidable choice for those looking to design anything from simple contact forms to complex, multi-step forms with intricate functionalities. Its commitment to user experience and expansive range of features and integrations have solidified its position as one of the top contact form plugins in the WordPress ecosystem. Whether you’re a novice site owner or an experienced web developer, Ninja Forms offers the tools and flexibility to create the perfect form for your needs.
WPForms for WordPress
WPForms is one of WordPress’s most user-friendly and versatile form plugins. It is designed with simplicity and makes form creation a breeze for beginners and seasoned website owners. Its reputation in the WordPress community has grown due to its balance between functionality and ease of use.
Here’s a deeper dive into WPForms:
- Drag-and-Drop Form Builder: With its intuitive interface, even those with no technical background can create professional-looking forms without writing a line of code.
- Pre-Designed Form Templates: WPForms offers a variety of pre-made templates for common form types, such as contact forms, registration forms, payment forms, and more.
- Responsive and Mobile-Friendly: WPForms ensures that your forms look and function beautifully on all devices, be it desktops, tablets, or smartphones.
- Conditional Logic: Create smarter forms that adapt to user responses. For instance, you can show or hide specific fields based on a user’s previous input.
- Spam Protection: Built-in tools like CAPTCHA, Honeypot, and Akismet integration help in keeping spam submissions at bay.
- Instant Notifications: Receive real-time email notifications when a user submits a form, ensuring timely responses.
- Entry Management: All form submissions can be easily accessed, viewed, and managed within the WordPress dashboard.
Add-Ons and Integrations
WPForms isn’t just about basic form creation. Its premium add-ons expand its functionality:
- Payment solutions (e.g., PayPal, Stripe) for collecting payments and donations.
- Email marketing integrations (e.g., Mailchimp, AWeber, GetResponse) to seamlessly add subscribers to your lists.
- Other integrations like Zapier, which connects WPForms to 2000+ web apps.
WPForms offers a limited free version, WPForms Lite, perfect for basic form needs. However, they have a tiered premium pricing structure to unlock the full potential, including advanced fields and premium add-ons.
Pros of Using WPForms
- Extremely beginner-friendly with an intuitive interface.
- Comprehensive feature set suitable for various form needs.
- Reliable customer support and an extensive documentation library.
- Regular updates and improvements ensure compatibility and enhanced security.
- While WPForms Lite is free, accessing the complete feature set requires a premium subscription.
- Premium add-ons aren’t as powerful as other plugins like Gravity Forms
- It might be considered overkill for those seeking just a basic contact form.
- Unlikely to work with multisite
WPForms for WordPress offers a balanced combination of simplicity and features. Whether you’re looking to create a basic contact form, a multi-page survey, or even a payment form, WPForms has the flexibility to cater to all these requirements. Its growing popularity and positive user feedback stand as a testament to its quality and utility in the WordPress universe.
Best free contact form WordPress plugin
Contact Form 7 for WordPress
Contact Form 7 is one of the WordPress community’s most recognised and trusted form plugins. Its minimalist approach and powerful flexibility allow users to create and manage multiple contact forms for their websites effortlessly. Best of all, it’s entirely free, cementing its reputation as a preferred choice for many.
Here’s an overview of Contact Form 7:
- Straightforward Form Creation: While it doesn’t boast a drag-and-drop interface like some modern plugins, its tag-based system makes form creation straightforward once you get the hang of it.
- Multiple Form Management: Easily generate and handle various forms, each with distinct fields and configurations, from within a single WordPress instance.
- Spam Protection: Integration with popular solutions like CAPTCHA and Google’s reCAPTCHA keeps spam submissions at bay.
- Akismet Integration: By linking with Akismet, the plugin further aids in filtering and blocking potential spam submissions.
- File Upload Capability: Users can submit files, ideal for job applications, document submissions, or any other purpose that requires file attachment.
- Custom Email Notifications: Tailor the email content received upon form submissions to align with your requirements.
Add-Ons and Integrations
The core functionality of Contact Form 7 can be extended with a plethora of third-party plugins and extensions. These additions can offer:
- Multi-step form processes
- Saving form submissions to a database
- Advanced field types
- Enhanced customisation options
- And more.
One of the standout features of Contact Form 7 is its price tag: it’s free. This commitment to being open-source and cost-free has endeared it to many WordPress users.
Pros of Using Contact Form 7
- It is entirely free without any upsells or premium versions.
- Supports a multitude of extensions and third-party plugins.
- It’s lightweight and efficient, ensuring optimal site performance.
- It offers a level of customisation that developers and advanced users appreciate.
- The lack of a drag-and-drop builder might pose challenges for beginners.
- Advanced functionalities often require supplemental plugins or custom code.
- Its immense popularity means spammers frequently target it, although its anti-spam integrations mitigate this risk.
Contact Form 7 remains a cornerstone in the realm of WordPress form solutions. Its blend of simplicity, extensibility, and cost-free approach has secured its position as a favourite among individual bloggers and seasoned web developers. If you seek a reliable and expandable form solution without any added financial commitment, Contact Form 7 is a strong contender.
WPForms Lite for WordPress
WPForms Lite is the free version of the acclaimed WPForms plugin. It’s tailored for WordPress users looking for a reliable and straightforward form builder without the added cost. Though a stripped-down version of the premium WPForms, it packs enough features for users to create basic forms with ease.
Here’s a detailed overview of WPForms Lite:
- Drag-and-Drop Form Builder: WPForms Lite boasts an intuitive interface that allows users to design forms by simply dragging and dropping the desired fields into place. This ensures that even those without technical expertise can craft professional-looking forms.
- Basic Form Fields: The plugin offers fundamental fields like text, email, dropdown, checkboxes, and radio buttons, enabling users to create contact forms, feedback forms, and more.
- Responsive Design: All forms made with WPForms Lite are mobile-responsive, ensuring they look and function seamlessly across devices.
- Instant Email Notifications: Be immediately alerted via email when someone submits a form, ensuring prompt responses.
- CAPTCHA for Spam Protection: Incorporate a simple CAPTCHA to help prevent spam submissions and maintain the integrity of your received data.
- Embed Anywhere: Easily embed your forms into posts, pages, or even widgets using a shortcode.
Differences from the Premium Version
While WPForms Lite covers the basics, the premium version of WPForms offers:
- Advanced fields such as file uploads, multi-page forms, and conditional fields.
- Payment integration allows for the collection of payments or donations directly through the forms.
- Newsletter integration with platforms like Mailchimp, AWeber, and Drip.
- Enhanced spam protection using Google reCAPTCHA and Honeypot.
- Priority support.
Pros of Using WPForms Lite
- User-friendly drag-and-drop interface, making form creation a breeze.
- Free without any hidden costs.
- Responsive design ensures optimal display on all device types.
- Reliable performance backed by the reputation of WPForms.
- It is limited to basic fields without the advanced functionalities found in the premium version.
- Lack of premium integrations, which can be crucial for eCommerce or sites requiring advanced form actions.
WPForms Lite is an excellent choice for those new to WordPress or users seeking a simple, no-cost solution for form creation. It delivers the essential features and reliability one would expect from a brand like WPForms. For users with growing needs, upgrading to the premium version unlocks a plethora of advanced functionalities, making WPForms a versatile choice adaptable to various demands.
The stats: contact forms on websites
The statistics related to using contact forms on websites can vary significantly depending on several factors such as the type of website, industry, design of the form, and user behaviour, but it’s interesting to note point out that contact forms will always benefit from using the right plugins and utilising best practices to increase conversion rates.
- Conversion Rates:
- The average conversion rate for contact forms is typically between 1% and 5%, but this can vary widely depending on the nature of the business and the website’s design.
- A simpler form (with fewer fields) often has a higher conversion rate. For many businesses, a form with 3 fields (e.g., name, email, message) tends to convert better than a form with ten fields.
- Drop-off Points:
- Multi-page forms can see a drop-off of 20% or more with each additional page.
- Every additional field in a form can decrease the conversion rate by approximately 10%.
- Field Types:
- Dropdown menus tend to have a lower completion rate compared to open-text fields.
- Captchas can deter users and reduce conversion rates, but they can also deter spam. If using a CAPTCHA, consider user-friendly versions like “reCAPTCHA” from Google, using V3. This is a hidden captcha.
- Mobile vs. Desktop:
- Mobile conversion rates are typically lower than desktop, primarily due to website owners neglecting a responsive design, emphasising the importance of optimising forms for mobile devices.
- Form Location:
- Contact forms placed above the fold (the portion of the web page visible without scrolling) tend to get more attention and will have a higher conversion rate.
- Immediate feedback on form completion (like highlighting an incorrectly filled field in red) can improve user experience and increase the likelihood of form submission.
- Call-to-Action (CTA):
- The wording on the submission button matters. Instead of generic text like “Submit”, personalised CTAs like “Get Your Quote” or “Send Message” can improve conversion rates.
- Spam Submissions:
- Websites can receive spam submissions, especially if CAPTCHA or similar measures aren’t in place. Spam rates can vary, but some sites report spam as high as 10-30% of all form submissions without protective measures.
- Response Time:
- Quick responses to contact form submissions can drastically improve conversion to sales. Many experts suggest responding within an hour during business hours.
- Privacy Concerns:
Remember, these statistics are broad averages and best practices. The specifics will vary based on numerous factors. Businesses must analyse their website analytics and maybe even A/B test different form designs to understand what works best for their audience.
Concluding thoughts: choosing a contact form WordPress plugin
There are many choices that cater to a range of needs when deciding on a WordPress form plugin. Whether you’re seeking a simple free solution or a comprehensive premium tool, the WordPress ecosystem has you covered.
If you’re seeking help, why not speak to our WordPress experts? We’re not just experienced in building WordPress websites; we’re also experienced in maintaining them, finding the best WordPress plugins, and even building our own. We know a thing or two with over 15 years of WordPress experience.
Ultimately, the right contact form WordPress plugin depends on your specific needs and preferences. So dive into these plugins, test them out, and choose the one that aligns perfectly with your requirements.